As taught to journalism interns in India, journalistic writing can be categorized into 5 primary types.
- Investigative writing that uses interviews, research and analysis to reach the bottom of a situation
- News reporting that involves reporting facts as soon as they are encountered
- Feature writing that offers a fresh perspective and takes a deeper look at situations, topics or people
- Column writing that reflects the opinions of the writer
- Review writing that is a mix of facts and opinions